Saturday, January 14, 2012

Setbacks... but chickpeas!

I think I gave myself tendinitis the other night at Body Pump. My right arm is swollen above the elbow, and aches a bunch when I move it. Gosh darn it! My legs are still sore, and my arms are out of commission. Abs it is... for days... haha.

With an injury to my cuttin' hand, and a day without cardio, I needed to make a dinner that would be fast, involve minimal labor, and wouldn't ruin my streak of healthy eating. Pizza fit the bill for two of these three criteria... but not the last and most important one!

I made some bulgur last night and threw some chickpeas in the slowcooker overnight, so I already had some hardware to work with. Here's the chickpea salad I concocted:

Chickpea and Bulgur Salad

3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
berbere (totally optional, I just had this in the cabinet)
1-2tsp cumin seed

Equal parts chickpeas and bulgur (I used about a cup each)
1-2 cups baby spinach, chopped
5 sundried tomatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
1 small shallot
2 minced pepperoncini
1tbsp pine nuts

Make your vinaigrette with the first six ingredients, then toss everything together! Add some fried scallions (from your local Asian grocery) for fun. This salad is beautiful, tastes amazing, and it's perfect for an after-workout recharge meal. Full of healthy carbs and protein, and WONDERFULLY flavorful-- what more could you ask for? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment